The History of
Ligonier Law, L.L.C.
History of the Firm
It started at a kitchen table in 1951.
In 1951, Richard J. Flickinger was admitted to the Court of Common Pleas of Westmoreland County, and began the practice of law from his home on Deeds Street in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. As he was regularly employed during the day by Kennametal Inc. in nearby Latrobe, he saw his clients chiefly in the evenings and on weekends. His practice grew, and he rented office space in several places in town. In 1960 he purchased the former Vance Bakery at 105 Deeds Street, and remodeled a portion into an office building.
Although he continued in various full time capacities with Kennametal throughout his lifetime, including that of general counsel, his law practice also blossomed into practically a full time profession until he retired in the early 1980's. He served as president of the Westmoreland Bar Association in 1970-1971, and was so active in legal affairs that many did not realize his law practice was only a "part time" activity.
In 1962, his son Richard F. Flickinger decided to pursue a legal career, and followed his father's footsteps by studying at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, from which he graduated in 1965. Following two years of service with the United States Army, he associated with his father and opened a true full time office at 105 Deeds Street. Richard F. Flickinger has also been active with the Westmoreland Bar Association, serving at various times on the real estate committee, the orphans' court committee, the building committee, the membership committee, among others, as well as on the executive board and as president of the association in 1999 - 2000.
History of the Building
100 year anniversary in 2022.
Early in 1911, T. C. Musick moved to Ligonier and purchased the Ligonier Mill. For the next thirty years, the mill produced horse and cattle feed for the many farms in Ligonier Valley, as well as flour and other products for the homes in this rural area. In June 1922, Mr. Musick purchased two vacant lots in the Deeds & Marker Plan just two blocks from the Diamond, as the town square was and still is known, and began construction of a 2½ story brick dwelling. Construction was completed a year later.
The architect was Philip Slack of Latrobe, who was responsible for a number of buildings in the area, including early buildings of the Latrobe Area Hospital. The general contractor was Garfield Lohr (whose brother Harry Lohr not incidentally was an owner of the Ligonier Lumber Company.) Mr. Lohr built many residences in Ligonier, all notable for their solid masonry construction and high quality of materials.
The chief carpenter was John Ambrose, and his craftsmanship is evident throughout. The woodwork is all oak, and has never been painted. Beveled glass doors are at the entrance and divide the rooms on the first floor. Stained glass windows provide light to the central hallway and to the baths on the second floor. A two story porch and a roof with a 4 foot overhang make the building impressive.
T. C. sold the house to his son F. B. Musick in 1941, who maintained the home much in its original condition throughout his lifetime. After his death in 1973, ownership of the house passed to his widow, then to her daughters, then to her son-in-law, and finally to six of her grandchildren. In September 1983, Richard F. Flickinger purchased the building from his six step-cousins, and began a complete renovation, keeping as much of the original construction as possible, but adding completely new electrical wiring and air conditioning. Except for the plastering contractor (who was from nearby Latrobe and had worked on the home from time to time over a thirty year period) all renovations were made by craftsmen from Ligonier.
Today the quality of this building and its contribution to the architecture of the town of Ligonier typify the practice of the law firm which has called it home since 1984.